Dermapen3 Medical Skin Needling
What is Dermapen Medical Skin Needling?
Medical Skin needling is a skin rejuvenation treatment that helps to support the skins regeneration of collagen and elastin through a natural healing process.
Ultra fine, medical grade stainless steel needles are passed vertically across the skin creating multiple surface skin channels. The tiny skin channels (wounds) allow for increased product penetration as well as activating the skins natural healing response. This treatment is designed to support skin regeneration to help improve skin texture, plump and firm giving an overall more youthful and glowing appearance.
This treatment can also support the healing of acne scars and improve the appearance of stretch marks and surgical scars.
What Can Medical Skin Needling Treat?
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Minimise pores
- Refines surface texture, smoothing coarse thickened skin
- Reduce appearance of acne scars
- Reduce appearance of traumatic and surgical scars
- Reduce appearance of stretch marks
- Reduce appearance of melasma and hyperpigmentation
- Supports synthesis of collagen and elastin for overall rejuvenation
**Results may vary from person to person**
Who Are The Best Candidates for Dermapen3 Medical Skin Needling?
Suited to both men and women of all ages and all skin types showing early signs of ageing or with mild acne scarring. Good for people who do not feel ready for, or do not yet need laser resurfacing or medium depth peels, or as a prevention method.
Contra Indications (reason why Medical Skin Needling may not be suitable for you)
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding
- History of keloid scarring or abnormal wound healing
- Some anticoagulant medication
- Light triggered seizures
- Open wounds of any kind, eczema, dermatitis, active rosacea, active Herpes Simplex
- Recent surgery in the area (with in last 3-6 months)
- Cancer or radiation therapy
- Sunburn in area to be treated
- Permanent Fillers
- Recent waxing, IPL, laser therapy or injectable treatments (within last week)
*NB: please inform your nurse or therapist if you have ever experienced or are prone to darkening of the skin post trauma
*NB: please inform your nurse or therapist if you have ever experienced or are prone to cold sores.
- Infection if skin is not cared for correctly
- Hyper and/ or hypo pigmentation if skin prematurely exposure to sun
- Prolonged redness, grazing
- Blood Thinners such as Aspirin, and Nurofen within 48hours
- Smoking (limited results)
- Topical prescription Vitamin A within 48 hours
- Diabetes (DR permission)
Smoking reduces the capacity for skin to make collagen, as it is harder to stimulate growth factors. Therefore it also reduces the skins natural ability to heal. More bruising may occur following the needling process and therefore results may be limited.
How Many Sessions Do I Need And How Often?
Rejuvenation: 4-6 treatments 4+ weeks apart
Acne Scarring: 6+ treatments 6+ weeks apart
Stretch Marks: 4-8 treatments 4-6+ weeks apart
It takes approximately 6 weeks for collagen synthesis and about 6 months for the full effect of the treatment to be evident.
- You will be prescribed a home care regimen suited to your skin type
- Always use a broad spectrum sunscreen at least SPF 30 – 50+
- Cease use of any Retinol products 48 hours prior
During Your Treatment
A Hyaluronic Acid enriched serum with Vitamins B3 & B5 is applied. Once needling begins you may feel some pressure though you won’t feel much pain due to the topical anaesthetic that is applied prior to your procedure. You need to arrive ½ hour before your appointment time for photos and topical anaesthetic.
What Will My Skin Look Like After The Treatment?
- Pinpoint bleeding during treatment
- Redness and inflammation will be present immediately, resolving over 12-36 hours
- Bruising, crusting and light flaking may occur on the days following the procedure
- Grazing and pustules may also occur but are not common
- Sunblock and make up may be applied 12+ hours post procedure
Patient After-Care for Dermapen3 Medical Skin Needling
For the next 48+ hours following treatment:
- Make up should NOT be worn for 12 hours post an Skin Needling session.
- Do not use products containing AHA’s, BHA’s, Vitamin A (Retinol), astringents or exfoliating granules
- Apply moisturiser as required (skin is best to remain moist during this time)
- Do not exfoliate or pick at peeling skin
- Do not expose the skin to sun
- MUST apply a sunscreen daily
- Avoid vigorous exercise, saunas, chlorinated and salt water pools, steam baths and hot showers for 48 hours following your treatment
For the next week following your treatment:
- Avoid waxing, IPL, Laser or depilatory creams for 1 week following your treatment
- Avoid applying tanning products for 1 week following your treatment
- May recommence home skin rolling 1 week post
Home Care Products To Use For The Following 2+ Days
It is important to avoid the use of exfoliating products for the next 5 days. To avoid sun sensitivities it is important to apply a broad-spectrum sun block daily. We recommend the following regime:
Normal/ Dry Skin Types
- Ultra B2 Micellar Solution / Hydrating Milk Cleanser / Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser
- Ultra Protective Antioxidant Complex
- Recovery Face & Body Cream / Ultra Moisturiser Cream / Ultimate Bio-Repair Moisturiser
- Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF30+, SPF 50+
Normal/ Oily Skin Types
- Ultra B2 Micellar Solution / Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser
- Ultra Protective Antioxidant Complex
- Recovery Face & Body Cream / Ultra Hydrating Lotion / Ultimate Bio-Repair
- Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF30+, SPF50+
- Mild bar or liquid soap
- Recovery Face & Body Cream
- Mild un-fragranced moisturiser
- SunActive SPF 50+
If I am interested, what now?
Your first step is an initial consultation with Dr Oates. You do not need a GPs referral for this consultation. Or you can have a complementary consultation with one of our Dermal Therapists or Nurses.
You may wish to speak with one of our qualified Dermal Therapists or Nurse prior to seeing Dr Oates. During this free consultation at our Perth clinic, a Dermal Therapist/Nurse can discuss both surgical and non-surgical options to treat your cosmetic concern(s).