What is Ultra Direct Needle Therapy (skin needling)?
Ultra DNT (skin needling) is a skin rejuvenation treatment that promotes regeneration of collagen and elastin through a natural healing process.
Ultra-fine, medical grade stainless steel needles are passed vertically across the skin creating multiple surface skin channels. The tiny skin channels allow for increased product penetration as well as activating the skin’s natural healing response, promoting stimulation of collagen and elastin to plump fine lines.
Skin needling treatments are designed to help improve skin texture by plumping and firming to give an overall more youthful glow and appearance. It can also support the healing of acne scar and improve the appearance of stretch marks and surgical scars.
3 stages of wound healing
- The inflammation phase – The first 48 hours to 5 days post skin needling. Redness occurs and bacteria and debris are phagocytosed or removed. Platelets form to prevent further bleeding and release growth factors
- Proliferations Phase – From day 2 to day 21 post skin needling. Angiogenesis fibroblasts grow and form a new extracellular matrix by excreting collagen and fibronectin (a glycoprotein that links proteins that bind fibroblasts, endothelial and macrophage cells). Re-epitheliasiation of the epidemis occurs and epithelial cells proliferate and migrate to the wound providing protection for new tissue.
- Remodelling Phase – From 3 weeks to 2 years post skin needling. Collagen is remodelled and realigned. Type III Collagen is replaced by Type I, scar tissue is flattened and cells that are no longer needed are removed.
Growth Factors are essential for regulation of the cellular events involved in would healing by attracting cells to the wound, stimulating proliferation and significantly influencing matrix disposition.
What can skin needling treat?
Skin needling is ideal for someone wanting to:
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Minimise pores
- Refine surface texture, smoothing coarse thickened skin
- Reduce the appearance of acne scars
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks
- Support synthesis of collagen and elastin for overall rejuvenation
LED Light Therapy
Why not upgrade your treatment? Low-Level Light Therapy (LLLT) with HEALITE II is the therapeutic use of light emitting diode (LED) to enhance your body’s natural cellular recovery. It improves healing time, relieves pain, subsides active acne, promotes skin rejuvenation and more. The pain-free and non-invasive treatment delivers concentrated energy deep into your tissue affecting your body at a cellular level.
Skin needling is not ideal for the following characteristics:
- Active Acne and/or Rosacea
- Active Herpes Simplex
- Cancer or radiation therapy
- Keloid scarring or abnormal wound healing
- Open wounds of any kind eczema, dermatitis, infections
- Permanent Fillers
- Recent Fillers (within last 2 weeks)
- Waxing (within 1 week)
- Recent facial surgery (within last 12 months)
Potential risks and complications of skin needling may include infection of the treated areas if the skin is not cared for correctly, hyper and/or hypo pigmentation, and prolonged redness and grazing.
Precautions & Smoking
Blood Thinners such as Aspirin and Nurofen as well as tropical prescription Vitamin A should not be taken within 48 hours pre- and post-op. If you have diabetes you will need your doctor’s permission before being approved for skin needling.
Skin needling patients who are smokers may also experience limited results as smoking reduces the capacity for skin to make collagen, making it harder to stimulate growth factors. Smoking also reduces the skin’s natural ability to heal and more bruising may occur following the needling process, therefore limiting results.
How many skin needling sessions do I need and how often are treatments performed?
We normally recommend a course of 4 to 6 skin needling sessions. A minimum of 4-6 treatment is required for skin rejuvenation and 6-8 sessions for pitted acne scarring, however more may be needed for more sun damaged and aggressively scarred skin. Treatment should be performed at 4-8 week intervals or 6-8 for darker or more mature skins. It takes approximately 6 weeks for collagen synthesis and 6 months for the full effect of the treatment to be evident.
What does it feel like?
Due to the topical anaesthetic that is applied prior to your procedure, you may feel some pressure but you won’t feel much pain. You need to arrive 30 minutes before your appointment for photos and topical anaesthetic.
What will my skin look like after the treatment?
Redness and inflammation will be present immediately following the treatment. The skin will look and feel like it is sunburnt or windburnt and will become tight and slightly uncomfortable. This may last for 24-48 hours and during this time you must follow all post care requirements. Pinpoint bleeding is also to be expected during skin needling, however skin will not continue to bleed following the treatment. Bruising, crusting and light flaking may occur in the days following the procedure. Grazing and pustules may also occur but are not common.
Healthy skin will respond far better to treatment than weak skin, therefore skin must be prepared at least 2 weeks prior with Ultraceuticals homecare, including:
- Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 30 + Hydrating/ Mattifying/ Sheer
- Ultra Cleansing product foam cleanser / gel cleanser / milk cleanser
- Ultra moisturiser hydration lotion / ultra moist / ultra rich
- Ultra A A Perfecting mild / serum / concentrate
- Ultra C C10 or C23 concentrate
- Even skin tone mild / serum / concentrate
- Brightening serum / moisturiser
Full Face: $400 per treatment
Full face and neck: $550 per treatment
Full Face, neck & décolleté: $650 per treatment
Add Healite II LED Light Therapy: $20
Ultra Medical skin needling is recommend in a course of treatments. Prices are available for single treatments or pre paid packages.
Patient After-Care for Skin Needling (DNT)
For 2-5 days following treatment:
- Make-up should NOT be worn for 12-24 hours post skin needling
- Do not use products containing AHA’s, BHA’s, Vitamin A (Retinol), astringents or exfoliating granules
- Cool compress as needed and apply moisturiser as required (skin is best to remain moist during this time)
- Do not exfoliate or pick at peeling skin
- Do not expose the skin to sun
- MUST apply sunscreen daily
- Avoid vigorous exercise, saunas, chlorinated and salt water pools, steam baths and hot showers for 48 hours following treatment
- Avoid waxing, IPL, Laser or depilatory creams for 2 weeks following treatment
- Avoid applying tanning products for 2 weeks following treatment
Home Care Products to use for the following 2 – 5 days
It is important to avoid the use of exfoliating products for the next 5 days. To avoid sun sensitivities it is important to apply a broad-spectrum sun block daily. We recommend the following regime:
Normal/ Dry Skin Types
- Ultra Hydrating Milk Cleanser/ Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser
- Recovery Face & Body Cream
- Ultra Moisturiser Cream/ Ultimate Bio-Repair Moisturiser
- Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF30+, SPF 50+
Normal/ Oily Skin Types
- Ultra Balancing Gel Cleanser
- Recovery Face & Body Cream
- Ultra Hydrating Lotion/ Ultimate Bio-Repair
- Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF30+, SPF50+
- Mild bar or liquid soap
- Ultimate Bio-Repair/ Recovery Face & Body Cream
- Mild un-fragranced moisturiser
- SunActive SPF50+
If I am interested, what now?
Your first step is an initial consultation with Dr Oates. You do not need a GPs referral for this consultation. Or you can have a complementary consultation with one of our Dermal Therapists or Nurses.
You may wish to speak with one of our qualified Dermal Therapists or Nurse prior to seeing Dr Oates. During this free consultation at our Perth clinic, a Dermal Therapist/Nurse can discuss both surgical and non-surgical options to treat your cosmetic concern(s).